Towing Leads via GMB Listings
Get More Towing Leads
Google Maps data is repurposed numerous ways in the Google universe. Ensuring your company has an accurate and up-to-date listing is a big step toward getting noticed on Google Maps and getting more towing leads.
What Is GMB & Why Do I Want It?
Google My Business (GMB) is a free tool to manage how your business appears and to get noticed on Google Maps and Search. The tool captures and displays a variety of information on your towing company, including location, phone number, reviews, hours, and more.
Owning and maintaining an accurate GMB listing is the safest way to ensure your towing company is being considered in pertinent online towing searches. Without a listing, your company won’t be found in searches like “towing company near me” and “local towing service.”
Even if you don’t have a physical towing shop, you should still claim your GMB listing using an address where you can receive mail (more on that below).
Setting Up Your GMB Listing…
1. ENTER YOUR BUSINESS DETAILS. Go to Google My Business and click “Manage Now” to begin the process. You’ll walk through a few steps that capture the details of your operation.
Choose your business category. The ones we most frequently use are: Towing Service, Auto Wrecker, Truck Repair Shop, Auto Repair Shop, Car Repair & Maintenance, RV Repair Shop, Trailer Repair Shop, Tractor Repair Shop, and Truck Accessories Store.
NOTE: If you don’t have a physical shop, use your home address. You’ll need to list an address that can receive mail (#2 below). And don’t worry – your home address doesn’t have to show on your GMB listing. You can choose to hide your address and only show city and state.
At this point you will have to verify that you are truly the business owner.
2. VERIFY YOUR BUSINESS. Google will send you a mail piece with a verification code inside. This small piece is easily overlooked, so in an effort to prevent it from finding your junk mail pile, below are a few snapshots of what it will look like. It should arrive within a week.
3. POPULATE GMB LISTING. While waiting on the mailer to arrive, you are able to fill in several other important aspects of your GMB listing. A few important areas are:
- Special Hours
- Business Description (Google allows 750 characters, yet on a desktop only 250 show up in the Knowledge Panel.)
- Photos (The cover photo shows up front and center on your listing. The profile photo appears when you post a review response or upload new images/videos. We recommend uploading and labeling other photos so stranded motorists can view exterior, interior, product/trucks, and employees at work images.)
4. FINISH VERIFICATION. Once you receive the mail piece from Google, click the “Verify now” button in the GMB dashboard to enter the code.
Congratulations! Your towing company is now officially listed on Google and can be found in those important local towing searches.
Unfortunately, the work doesn’t stop there. It’s important to update your listing with any changes to location, hours, service, and images as well as to respond to reviews about your business. Don’t be shy. Upload as many pictures as you can. Keep it fresh, and keep it active. Download the GMB app for iOS or Android to make updating easier.